Native of Constance taught in Nebraska
Benedictine Sister Elmera Keiser, a native of Constance who taught in archdiocesan schools for 21 years, died March 24 in Yankton, S.D. She was 96.
Her funeral Mass was March 29 in the Bishop Marty Memorial Chapel at the Sacred Heart Monastery in Yankton, with interment at the monastery cemetery.
Born on a farm near Constance in 1919, she attended school in Constance, Fordyce and Hartington. She attended Wayne State College and earned degrees from Mount Mary College in Yankton and the University of South Dakota in Vermillion.
Sister Keiser entered the Benedictine order at Sacred Heart Monastery in 1945, professed her first vows in 1947 and final vows in 1950.
She worked as an elementary school teacher in North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado and Nebraska, including from 1954 to 1957 and 1964 to 1967 at then-St. James School in Wynot, 1960 to 1961 at then-St. Francis Cabrini School in Omaha, and 1971 to 1985 at Holy Trinity School in Hartington. She also taught music and piano.
Preceded in death by her parents and seven siblings, Sister Keiser is survived by nieces and nephews and members of her community.