You are here

St. Patrick Parish - Fits and starts

Parish
1868 – a group of Irish settlers makes their home in Elkhorn; Masses said in houses.
1871 – first church is built, destroyed by fire.
1872 – second church is built, damaged by tornado.
1873 – church is reconstructed.
1899 – church is destroyed by fire.
1900 – third church is built.
1931 to 1956 – church renovations take place.
1966 – George and Helen Boland donate 10 acres north of West Maple Road and west of Nebraska Highway 31, the present church location. 
1969 – the first worship space is built on that site, currently referred to as Boland Hall.  
1981 – the present church is built, seating 450, and the parish center is built.
2000 – church is renovated to what is seen today, with seating for 700.
2018 – number of families – 2,360, and total church members – 8,547.
 
School
1967 – lack of funding and lack of religious sisters frustrate efforts to open a parish school.
1993 – an elementary school opens.
1995 – the school closes with about 20 children in preschool, kindergarten and first grade.
2000 – the parish school reopens, with 80 students in preschool through third grade.
2002 – parishioners build a new school with nine classrooms, school and religious formation offices, administrative space and commons area.
2003 – preschool and kindergarten wing is built.
2006 – the school celebrates its first eighth-grade graduation. 
2008 – combined school and religious formation programs serve more than 1,200 students.
2010 – the school celebrates its 10th Anniversary 
2018 – school serves 841students, religious formation serves 878.
 

The Catholic Voice

The Archdiocese of Omaha • Catholic Voice
402-558-6611 • Fax 402 558-6614 •
E-mail Us

Copyright 2018 - All Rights Reserved.
This information may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

Comment Here