St. Margaret Mary Parish History


Summer 1919: Bishop Jeremiah J. Harty commissioned Father Leo Patrick to establish a parish in the Dundee area of Omaha.

Sept. 7, 1919: First parish Mass celebrated in a building at 50th and Underwood Avenue

May 12, 1920: Canonization of St. Margaret Mary solemnized; parish placed under the saint's protection

Summer 1920: Parish house purchased at 50th and California streets; Masses celebrated there

1921: St. Margaret Mary School established; classes held in parish house

1922: New church/school building built next to parish house

1923: Father Joseph Suneg appointed assistant pastor at St. Margaret Mary; he would serve 46 years

June 17, 1924: Father Suneg named administrator

April 30, 1928: Father Suneg named pastor

1941: Ground broken for new church building at 62nd and Dodge streets

June 14, 1942: New church is dedicated

September 1951: Construction of new school completed

1957: Father Suneg receives title of Monsignor

May 8, 1968: Constitution for nine-member Parish Council approved

Feb. 24, 1974: Monsignor Suneg Memorial Center dedicated

1997-1998: School addition and Dennis L. Raynor Parish Center constructed

A book on the parish’s history, written by parishioner Nick Manhart, will be available beginning Nov. 14 at the parish office.



Father Leo Patrick, 1919-1924; Father (later Msgr.) Joseph Suneg, 1924-1969; Father Robert Garvey, 1969-1972; Father (later Msgr.) Peter Dunne, 1972-1989; Father Robert Smith, 1989-1994; Father Melvin Merwald, 1994-2007; Father Gregory Baxter, 2007-2019; Father Tobias Letak (administrator), Oct. 1 – Dec. 14, 2019; beginning Dec. 15, 2019, Father Ralph O’Donnell.

Sign up for weekly updates and news from the Archdiocese of Omaha!
This is default text for notification bar