Statement on Fr. Theodore “Ted” Richling, Jr.
October 15, 2020
In late September, the Archdiocese of Omaha concluded an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct with minors against a deceased priest, Fr. Theodore “Ted” Richling, Jr., having received allegations of sexual misconduct with minors earlier this summer. Fr. Richling died in 2019.
The conclusion of the investigation led to the substantiation of multiple instances of sexual misconduct with minors. This matter has been referred to the Douglas County Attorney.
Fr. Richling had the following assignments:
- Assistant Pastor of St. Columbkille Parish in Omaha from 1971-1974 and in 1993
- Associate Pastor of St. Robert Bellarmine Parish in Omaha from 1974-1976
- Associate Pastor of St. Cecilia Cathedral Parish from 1976-1978
- Associate Pastor of Christ the King Parish in Omaha from 1978-1981
- Associate Pastor of St. Leo the Great Parish in Omaha from 1981-1983
- Pastor of Assumption Parish in Lynch from 1983-1988
- Pastor of St. Bonaventure Parish in Raeville from 1988-1990
- Pastor of St. Rose Parish in Genoa from 1990-1992
- Associate Pastor of St. Bernard Parish in Omaha 1992-1993
- Associate Pastor of St. Patrick Parish in Fremont in 1993
- Associate Pastor of Assumption Parish in Omaha from 1993-1994
- Sacramental supply, residence at St. Richard Parish, Omaha from 1994-1997
- Sacramental supply, residence at the John Vianney Residence, 1994-2019
The Archdiocese of Omaha remains committed to the protection of young people and vulnerable adults, the prevention of abuse, healing for victims of abuse and cooperating with civil authorities. Anyone concerned about the actions of a member of the clergy or any church worker should contact law enforcement.
Mary Beth Hanus, the Director of Victim Outreach and Prevention for the archdiocese, is available to meet with persons affected by misconduct and abuse by members of the Church. She can be reached at (402) 827-3798 or by email at